Families are the first and best line of defense for their loved ones. They support, lead, advocate and often bear the burden of ensuring their loved ones with mental illness get the help they need. This can be lonely, taking a heavy emotional, financial, physical and mental health toll. Still many feel a need to pass on what they know to other families. If we can support families in their journey, their loved ones will thrive and other families will benefit.
Families helping families. By bringing families together and facilitating sharing, learning and resilience, CMHA Saskatoon is building the capacity to heal, recover and grow. We are helping build and enrich relationships between families for the long term.
Families Matter is a strength-based, family-centered initiative that empowers, builds capacity and resilience and reduces the need for crisis interventions.
Goals and Objectives
- Build strong community connections for families and be solution focused.
- Tap into the strength of families so that they can support others in their journey.
- Keep families strong by providing education and information on mental health and related issues.*
- Keep families healthy and connected to each other and their community.
- Provide holistic support for families and a pathway to other services both within CMHA and the wider community.
- Reduce stigma about mental health and enhance the capacity of families to contribute their knowledge and expertise to making Saskatoon a stronger, healthier city for everyone.
- Help families navigate the mental health system and facilitate access to supports and services.
- Provide ongoing follow-up, counselling and referral for families as needed.
- Develop awareness tools that highlight the essential role of families in creating healthy communities.