“When First Aid came into existence, the concept of teaching the average citizen to apply pressure to a wound saved people’s lives. Mental Health First Aid will do something similar, by assisting people in making the right kind of decisions.” — Mental Health First Aid Canada Participant
Mental Health First Aid is help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis.
Just as physical first aid is administered to an injured person before medical treatment can be obtained, Mental Health First Aid is given until appropriate treatment is found or until the crisis is resolved.
The program aims to improve mental health literacy, and provide the skills and knowledge to help people better manage potential or developing mental health problems in themselves, a family member, a friend or a colleague.
In the 12 hour course, Mental Health First Aid Canada teaches people how to:
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of mental health problems
- Provide comfort to someone with a mental health problem
- Provide initial help and reassurance
- Guide a person towards appropriate professional help
Mental Health First Aid shares the same overall purpose as traditional first aid – to save lives. It aims to:
- Preserve life where a person may be a danger to themselves or others.
- Provide help to prevent the mental health problem from developing into a more serious state.
- Promote the recovery of good mental health and reduce stigma.
Mental Health First Aid Basic:
September 13 & September 14, 8:30am-4:00pm, St. Paul’s Hospital
- Registration form for September course: MHFA (Basic) – September 2018
November 1 & November 2, 8:30am-4:00pm, St. Paul’s Hospital
- Registration form for November course: MHFA (Basic) – November 2018
Mental Health First Aid for Adults Interacting with Youth:
November 3 & 17, 8:30am-4:00pm, Canadian Mental Health Association Saskatoon Branch Inc.
- Registration form for November course:
For further information contact:
Brenda Beaudry or Jenna Neufeld, MHFA Instructors
For information about Mental Health First Aid Canada please visit www.mentalhealthfirstaid.ca
MHFA is a program of the Mental Health Commission of Canada.